Wednesday 28 March 2012

There is a Man on the Cross I cannot take down.



In the Reconciliation Chapel where I take Confession, there is a giant crucifix that dominates the room. The crucifix was commissioned in Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany, in 1930 and was originally in St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows, the old seat of the bishop. It is nearly life size, the cross made of wood and the corpus of Christ is bronze. It is a beautiful work.

The crucifix is a beautiful thing to contemplate, and often I stare at it while I wait to confess. I stare at His face, His pierced side, but more often than not I find myself staring at His feet. I don't know why. I find feet the most disgusting part of the human body, but I find myself drawn to the feet of Christ. They are beautiful and painful at the same time. I try and imagine the pain of having my feet pierced with nails, and sometimes it becomes so real the tops and soles of my own feet ache in pain.

Sometimes I stare at my Lord, hanging there on the cross for me. He has been on that cross for near 2,000 years now. He hangs there with His arms open, beckoning all to witness His sacrifice. He holds them open, displaying His wounds, naked and suffering so we can witness what we have done to Him. And He holds His arms open wide, waiting for us to take Him down.

I often think about taking Him down, when I stare at that cross. I imagine Him falling into my arms, how heavy His body is weighed down with the sins of the world. I realize how weak I am, unable to hold Him up, His blood running over me and staining my clothes and the ground. I cannot hold Him up, and I cannot take Him down. I cannot take Him down because I am the one who keeps Him up there. Every confession I loosen the nails that hold Him up there, but every sin I commit drives them deeper. I am the source of His suffering, and His continual pain.

I love this Man Whom I crucify. I love Him because He loves me enough to bear the pain I inflict upon Him. I love Him because He bears the weight I cannot, and takes the punishment that is meant for me. I pray one day will come I will be able to take those nails out completely, and He can come down from that Cross. But that day is not today.

Lately after doing my penance in front of that crucifix, I kiss the feet of Our Lord. I do this because it is the very least I can do. Because there is a Man on the Cross I cannot take down.

- Donald Copp

No comments:

Post a Comment